Indialantic is situated on the barrier island that separates the Indian River Lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean. This island, approximately 35 miles (56 km) in length, stretches south from Cape Canaveral to the Sebastian Inlet. The Melbourne Causeway connects Indialantic to the city of Melbourne across the Indian River Lagoon. Indialantic is bordered on the south by the town of Melbourne Beach and on the north by unincorporated Brevard County.
1919-21 – Ernest Kouven-Hoven, who bought the land that ultimately became Indialantic, settled in the area, and built a wooden bridge connecting Indialantic with Melbourne (Bridge #1)
1920s – The Indialantic Hotel was built. Its name was later changed to the Tradewinds Hotel. The hotel was on what is now South Shannon Avenue, the current location of Tradewinds Terrace.
By 1924 The Indialantic Casino was built. Its name was later changed to the Bahama Beach Club. This is the location of Nance Park today.
1941-47 – Wooden bridge is replaced with drawbridge, delayed by the war years. (Bridge #2)
1952 – Indialantic is incorporated with the name “Indialantic-by-the-sea.”
1985 – Modern causeway is built with elevated span to avoid boats (Bridge #3)